The International Medical University (IMU) has recognised that there are many Malaysian students who aspire to be a health sciences professional. For various reasons, some of these students are not able to achieve their life-long ambition, including those students whose families do not have the financial resources to support them for entry into an international institution like the IMU.
The following scholarships are now open for application Entry 2009/2010.
The IMU Medical and John Beck Scholarships
- Each scholarship will cover the full tuition fees for the entire duration of the 5-year undergraduate medical course at the IMU [MBBS (IMU)].
- Two medical scholarships will be awarded every year for the August intake.
The IMU – University of Strathclyde Pharmacy Scholarships
- Each scholarship will cover the full tuition fees for the entire duration of the 3½-year undergraduate MPharm course at the IMU and the University of Strathclyde.
- Two pharmacy scholarships will be awarded every year for the January intake.
The IMU Bachelor of Pharmacy Scholarship
- Each scholarship will cover the full tuition fees for the entire duration of the 4-year undergraduate pharmacy course at the IMU.
- One scholarship will be awarded every year for the July intake.
The IMU Bachelor of Nursing Scholarships
- Each scholarship will cover the full tuition fees for the entire duration of the 4-year undergraduate nursing course at the IMU.
- Two scholarships will be awarded every year for the July intake. For all scholarships, living expenses will also be provided to the value of RM10,000 per annum (or foreign currency equivalent)
The scholarships are open to all Malaysians but are not meant for students who are already enrolled in the IMU. The scholarship will provide full remission of tuition fees for the duration of the entire undergraduate course at the IMU, subject to satisfactory progress. Living Expenses will also be provided to the value of RM 10,000 per annum (or foreign currency equivalent).
Students who wish to apply must have excellent academic background together with other qualities, including strong extra-curricula activities and who, for financial reasons, would otherwise be unable to pursue a career in medicine, pharmacy or nursing.
Eligibility to Apply
- Malaysian citizens.
- Possess excellent academic records (equivalent to distinctions in all Science subjects) at STPM / A – Level / equivalent or a diploma in a health related field.
- Have excelled in extra-curricular activities and possess leadership qualities.
- Below 25 years of age.
- Not be students who possess an existing university degree and students who are currently enrolled in medicine, pharmacy or dentistry in a Malaysian public university as well as registered students of the IMU.
- Combined parental income must not exceed RM50,000 annually.
- Advertisements will be placed in all major newspapers in March / April inviting candidates to send in an application. Application forms and instructions will be placed on the IMU main website (http://www.imu.edu.my).
- Candidates are required to send in completed application forms with academic, financial and extra-curricular information attached. Other documents such as Hepatitis B status and a confidential report from your education institution will also be required.
- Potential candidates for the scholarship will be shortlisted for interview.
- The IMU Scholarship Selection Committee will conduct interviews.
- The final decision on the Scholarship Selection Committee will be made known at least 15 days prior to the commencement of the semester.
- The successful applicant must reply in writing on acceptance or rejection of the offer of the scholarship one week before commencement of the semester.
- BPharm and Nursing : 8 May 2009
– MPharm and Medical : 14 June 2009
Please refer IMU Financial Assistance – Scholarships for more details.