In the hopes of sharing Taiwan’s prosperity and economic experience with the rest of the world, the International Economic Cooperation Development Fund (IECDF) was established in October 1989 under the supervision of the Ministry of Economic Affairs. Soon thereafter, the IECDF was given the responsibility for providing various types of economic and social assistance to friendly and diplomatically allied developing nations.
As the variety of cooperative development projects expanded yet further, and the number of overseas technical missions increased, Taiwan’s government consolidated the CITC and the IECDF into an independent organization in 1996 and 1997: the International Cooperation and Development Fund (TaiwanICDF).
This scholarship is provided by TaiwanICDF (Taiwan International Cooperation and Development Fund ) and will allow Malaysians to pursue a Bachelor, Master or Doctoral Degree in 16 cooperative universities and their specific departments. All programs are taught in English.
The total scholarship, including airfare (round-trip), housing, tuition, credit fees, insurance, textbook costs and a monthly allowance will be provided by the TaiwanICDF to each student. The scholarship is itemized as follows:
- Airfare: The TaiwanICDF shall provide economy class tickets for the most-direct flights to and from Taiwan.
- Housing: All students must reside in the graduate student dormitories.
- Tuition fee: The TaiwanICDF will cover the tuition fee as required by the student’s university.
- Credit fees: Credit fees vary with the number of credits registered. Credit fees will also be covered as required by the student’s university.
- Insurance: While in Taiwan, in addition to the mandatory student safety insurance set by the Ministry of Education, each student must be insured for accidental and necessary medical coverage. Insurance fees will be covered for the entire duration of the program.
- Book costs: Purchasing textbooks as required by the instructors shall be subject to the approval of the director of the student’s institute.
- Undergraduate’s Program (maximum 4 years): Each student shall receive NT$12,000 per month (NT$144,000 per year) as allowance for food and miscellaneous living expenses. The sum will be deposited monthly into the student’s local bank account.
- Master’s Program (maximum 2 years): Each student shall receive NT$15,000 per month (NT$180,000 per year) as allowance for food and miscellaneous living expenses. The sum will be deposited monthly into the student’s local bank account.
- Ph.D. Program (maximum 3 years): Each student shall receive NT$17,000 per month (NT$204,000 per year) as allowance for food and miscellaneous living expenses. The sum will be deposited monthly into the student’s local bank account.
- Merit awards: Merit awards will be given for outstanding performance
Applicants must submit the application form and related documents to Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Malaysia;
Menara Yayasan Tun Razak,
No. 200 Jalan Bukit Bintang,
55100 KUALA LUMPUR.
Closing Date : 31 Mac 2009
Scholarship background and forms can be obtained from TaiwanICDF International Higher Education Scholarship Programs 2009 website.